Thomas Sutcliffe "Films need to seduce their audience into long term commitment. While there are many typed of seduction, the temptation to go for instant arousal is almost irresistible"
- A film can either have a slow & long start to the opening or it can either get straight to the thrill! its like taking someone a date you can either have a long romantic date going to the movies, a restaurant and dancing (to get to know them) or a 30min date and then straight to the bedroom. I prefer a bit of both.
Director Jean Jacques Beineix's risks of 'instant arousal'.
- If the start of a movie has straight action and thrill , what happens t the rest of the movie? What else can you do to keep the audience thrilled? You could be stuck for the rest of the movie if all the action is at the beginning.
"a good beginning must make the audience feel that it doesn't know nearly enough yet, and at the same time make sure that it doesn't know too little"
- You shouldn't give away too much into because it will be too predictable and forget watching the movie OR if you give too little away they'll loose interest and leave the movie. Make sure the quantity is right!
Critic Stanley Kauffman's description of the classic opening.
- We get a scape of the city to know where we are or a wide shot of the suburbs.
A close-up of the building,then through a window and from the window into an office for example. You then see the secretary and the important person (who the films about)k. This establishes normality..
Kyle Cooper's title sequence to 'Seven' is effective.
- The title foreshadows the film and shows the obsessive psychotic nature of the main character.
"a favourite trick of Film Noir" What is the trick?
- When the end of the movie is put at the start,we go back in time. This how the events build up. The start of the film doesn't usually show up just for 30seconds.
The way 'The Shining' create suspense.
- We know the car is going the wrong way because of the mood of the music.
The fact it is going into darkness and nowhere.
The camera is like the predator and the people in that car are the prey!