Thursday, 7 April 2011

Evaluation: Progression from prelim to final film

Planning for the improvement from the Prelim to the final edit:
Planning skills - how good planning and research leads to a good film:
  • Makes it easier to develop.
  • You have the correct informatin to continue.
  • It won't jump if it is all planned correctly, and the quality will improve
  • Research will provide elements of intertextuality, which will make the movie more impressive.
Teamwork - working with other people:
  • Will create a better quality outcome as members will have a clearer understanding of what is needed of them.
  • Members will share creative ideas and make a successful outcome.
  • The process will run more smoothly as the tasks will be evenly distributed.
  • Members will pick up new skills from each other.
Organisation skills - improvement:
  • We organised a timetable, in which a member would collect the equipment, and one where someone will return it. It must be given back at a certain time as other people would want to use it.
  • We planned days for shooting, so we know when members cannot make it.
  • We uploaded our blogs on time so we know if we are/not up to date.
  • We improed our story board, so it would be more detailed than the Prelim.
Importance of media technology:
  • Makes it easier.
  • Better quality outcoms.
  • Making it easier for modern viewing (e.g. blogs and youtube).
  • Connects people together via technology.

Both include establishing shots, however we used paning to set the area of our final location rather than zooming in on prelim, as it makes it look more professional.

In terms of font, our Census title looks more formal, as M.M had a certain style, however Census has an interesting affect of the red line which makes it look like blood crossing it out, which gives an insight to what the opening is about. Although, some people did not understand the meanin of the word Census, but the imagery would be abe to give them clue in order to undersand the plot.

We improved our low angle shots as we found a way of keeing the camera still and in focus while on the ground, as before it was not low enough.
These medium shots are similar, however we used the college to film our prelim, so we were limited to the amount of locations we could use. But we improved on this, and used a typical middle class house, which brings normality to the opening, also used in The Stepfather.
In terms of mise en scene, we have improved. Before, the characters are wearing their normal casual wear, but the final film uses black clothes such as the coat, the trousers, black military style boots, bag and sunglasses.
We did not have many close ups on the face, apart from the victim, as we wanted to keep the identity of the killer secret until the end. There was also no text information such as cast. We avoided the use of speech as it woul take away the suspense the quiet atmosphere makes.
We did not use many ranges of shots in the prelim, as we found it difficult to include them. However we managed to include the following shots:

We improved the close up of the shoes, as they draw more attention to the mise en scene.

This is a viewpoint shot, also used
We found that zoom ins look unproffesional, so we avoided including them.

Soundwise, we thought the use of human sound effects (screams) made it less realistic. Instead, we stuck to sound effects such as water flowing, as it would enhance the sound and make it look more impressive.
We were less concise about music, so we made sure we knew what instrumental to use to create the right theme of suspense, however both outcomes were dramatic.

We did not include the production companies in the prelim, the fact that we inclued them shows support from the companies and makes it official.

Prop: Directory page

We made sure to include more props in our final film, as they help to create the story for the killer. In this case we followed The Stepfather and used a variety of tools, including the typical thriller knife.
Range of Close ups. It was important that the paper was close enough and in focus in order to read the names on the paper. This is so people can realise that the Census is person who counts off names, but in particuar, this Census kills them and crosses their names with blood. This means the viewer would want to find out why this is.

High angle shot, which we did not use in our Prelim, so it adds to our range.

Wide shot, improved in quality from our Prelim, as the frame was set more accuratley.

High angle shot, again no used in our Prelim, this is to make the victim look more vulnerable.
Match cut: Edited more effectively, done from the shot of the sink, to the close up of the plug hole, back to the sink. This will make it relate to each other and is a good way of including different shots.

These are the shots of the plug holes, the first with the water running, the second without, however you can see the water drain quicker.

Mirrored Image: We tactically used the camera to film with the character in the mirror, without the camera reflecting onto the mirror. We also took notice not to let any of the equipment get into the shots.

The camera is no longer following the character as she is leaving, so the secret of the dead body remains in the house. It also entails that the killer cannt be seen or followed, which is why the camera stays in place when the character leaves. This will make the viewers want to follow the killer in order to solve the issue of what their motives are.

No comments:

Post a Comment